Friday, June 13, 2008

Temple Of Doom

People give Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom lots of grief. They talk all kindsa smack about the movie, saying it's...I dunno, silly, or...goofy, or...I dunno.

I tune them out after a while.

It's on TV right now, as I type this. My wife and I were just talking about this phenomenon, and...

...jeeez.

It's goofier than Raiders. So what? This is a fun movie. Great dialogue, memorable characters and scenes, totally bitchin' music, a relentless pace...the damn thing is engaging. You can't get bored watching this movie, and if you do, I don't understand you.

Is Willie Scott annoying? Yes. Is she useless? As anything but a foil for The Man With The Hat, sure. Are the Sankara stones less epic than the Ark of the Covenant or the Holy Grail? Yup.

There. Those are its sins. Notice that "boring", "talky", "traveloguey" and "half-hearted" are not among them.

Conan stories had varied tones, too. Think about that. Conan was in a freaking murder mystery. Pulp is many things.

I think we're done here.

Plus, it's almst time for dinner...and Doctor Who.