Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I Had A Dream, I Had An Awesome Dream

In it, I had re-written Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace as a spec script for my own amusement and experience. Just to have written a screenplay, see? Learn-as-you-go type thing.

My spec got into the hands of a studio exec (in my dream, my cousin Lisa; go figure) who looked at it and called me in and said, "This is PERFECT! This is what I've been looking for - a million-dollar idea. It's creative, it's energetic!"

I got a contract out of it.

Thing is, I've often thought about re-writing the prequels, for fun and practice. Not because I think I can do any better, but because it'd be easy for me.

One of my supervisors at work suggested a few months ago that I could switch from doodling between calls, to writing a screenplay instead, and that if I got hassled for it, he'd back me up.

So today, to limber up, I'm writing a scene from MY Episode I, between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker. Anakin's older, maybe 18, and a total space-greaser. It's slow going because I'm at work, but it's fun...

I hope I develop a sort of addiction to doing this, so that I can finally get off my butt and get ON my but to write a screenplay.