Saturday, August 14, 2010

Greeks On The Moon!

Here's how ideas happen to me.

My wife and I are reading to our daughter a book called "Ancient Greece: Archaeology Unlocks the Secrets of Greece's Past", a National Geographic book for kids (which my daughter chose, by the way).

Tonight I began Chapter 3: "Greeks on the Move". I read the chapter title out loud, and my wife said:

" 'Greeks on the Moon' ?!"

We all had a good chuckle, especially as Lily started to describe how they'd all be floating around up there, and I said, "Yeah, and their helmets would have big beards on 'em. And they'd wear, like...vacuum-sealed togas." My wife suggested, "Wearing magnetic sandals." To which I in turn added, "And their ships would look like owls."

...and the idea hit me: Ancient Greece, But With Starfaring Technology. Togas. Lasers.

That idea was enticing enough already but -- excuse me.

ATTENTION KMART:
YOU AND YOUR DAMN BACK-TO-SCHOOL COMMERCIALS
LEAVE "WE GOT THE BEAT" THE %#╣ƒ ALONE.
YOU'RE ON NOTICE.

-- but later, as Lily was brushing her teeth, she said to the mirror:

"MAYANS ON THE MOOOOOOOOOON...!"

Oh.

My.

Whammo.

Two great ancient civilizations, taking to the stars in anachrotech, and clashing over control of space.

And I --

--

-- WOW.

Too bad I'm tired and ready for bed.