Monday, February 04, 2008

Things I Just Don't Understand

I'd like to take a quick break to talk, if I may, about

THINGS I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND

And these are some of them:

1. YOU CAN'T GET "SQUARE PEGS" ON DVD.
Walk into Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, Target...any place that sells DVDs. Go in and look at all the TV series that you can buy collected on disc. What do you see? You see The Greatest American Hero, Miami Vice, Cheers, even Voyagers!. So...it's not like there's no 80's TV nostalgia market.

Wither Square Pegs?

If you're not familiar with it, Square Pegs may not only be the most accurate high school show ever, it was also chock full of New Wave music. It had clever and very quotable dialog, charming characters and a guest appearance by DEVO (at a bat mitzvah, no less). It aired on CBS back in '82-'83. It only lasted 1 season and was considered a failure, but it has a fan base. A fan base who would, you know, pay for a DVD set.

I can only guess that there's some sort of music rights issue keeping it off my shelf; as I mentioned, there was New Wave music positively freaking dripping out of this th-- no, wait, New Wave radiates. Anyway, it's probably that. But there's money to be made from settling it all up, so...I DON'T GET IT!

2. YOU CAN'T GET "THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN" ON DVD, EITHER.
While you're ou looking at the DVDs like I told you to, look for 70's/80s cartoon sets. Dungeons & Dragons, The Adventures Of Flash Gordon, He-Man, She-Ra, even the French He-Man series -- you can get 'em, no sweat. That's not resentment, now, you understand.

No, it's the same thing as before: no sense is getting made. Market? Check! Precedent? Check! DVD that I can buy?

...

...dingus. I DON'T GET IT!

3. ALL OF JAMES HORNER'S FILM SCORES SOUND THE SAME
You know what I'm taking about? Listen to Willow, Enemy At The Gates and Troy. THEY ALL HAVE THAT LITTLE "NUH-NUH NAAH NUUUUUUUhhhhh...!" thing in 'em. OVER and OVER and OVER again, to the point that the score is just "NUH-NUH NAAH NUUUUUUUuhhhhhhhh...!" with somethin' else tacked onto it. He gets paid for this. I DON'T GET IT!

I'm done. Thank you.