Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Oh, The Waterworks

On New Year's Eve, I sat down on the couch with my daughter to watch Star Wars, for her first time ever.

She's been asking to see it for a while now; we've talked to her about it, she's seen us play Star Wars Lego, she even has some of the cute lil' Star Wars Galactic Heroes toys (the bounty hunter set, courtesy of our friend John). We got the new DVDs for Xmas, and finally had the time to sit down and watch them.

I was already weepy, because, hey -- this was me and my daughter watching Star Wars together for the first time. It was a big moment for me. I was in no way ready for what came next.

The Tantive IV came across the top of the screen, trading laser fire with its pursuant Star Destroyer, when my 2-year-and-4-month-old child, darling little blue-eyed kid, clutching her toys, said:

"Oh, WOW! This my FAVORITE SHOW!"

I wept. Openly. Like a baby.

And when she jumped off the couch to hold up her Stormtrooper toy aganst the screen to show me "They match!", it didn't get any better.

She threw up halfway through Empire, but that had more to do with her being ill that day. We haven't finished Jedi, but we will.

By the way, she's seeing the theatrical cuts, not this special edition corndoggery. In my house, Han shoots first.