Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Geddy Lee, C&C, Dinner Tables and Me

Just recently, my wife and I got a new dinner table -- just a round little thing, no bigger than a family of 3 needs. We were without one for years, but we found The Right One and now we're all set. Sitting down at a real, honest-to-goodness dinner table and writing up game notes is a real pleasure. It's been a long time and now I feel like I can do it up proper.

'Cept for one thing I'm missing. What could possibly need, you wonder.

Here's what I need: I need more Rush albums.

Oh, I've got a few CDs. I have Signals, which I heart right in its face; I have Moving Pictures, which of course rocks. I have Roll The Bones and Presto, neither of which I like quite as much, and I have a couple on vinyl, but it's been a while since I've seen them and I forget which ones they are.

I need more. I need more Rush CDs because I have it in my head that if I can get a couple of solitary hours to sit down at my dinner table, make Castles & Crusades notes and listen to some older Rush stuff, I will be in a sort of personal gamer-nerd Nirvana.

This belief is strong and immutable. It wavers no more than do mountains, or constellations, or, you know, other things that stay for a long time. The image of myself sitting at the table, stack of books, dice pooled nearby, pencils and papers and a disk of incandescent light from above and the sounds of, say, "Spirit Of Radio" all around...it's inviting. Very much so!

Also, it's more realistic than the one with the hammock and the Mexican beach and the stack of old SF novels and the cooler full of Sangria SeƱorial bottles. These days, I seek my pleasures in the achievable, if still among the distinct.

Plus, my daughter heard me singing a bit of "Fly By Night" in the truck the other day and now she keeps asking me if we have the song yet. So why don't I?!